Skip to main content

A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea - Dina Nayeri

I finished this novel in a very short span of time as compared to what I take to read others. I am really finding it so difficult to hunt for the correct superlatives that can describe what and how this novel made me feel. It left an everlasting impact on me like many others based on stories set in some part of the middle east. May be I am fascinated with the same.

Anyways, I want to begin with saying that its just a fine treasure of fascinating dreams weaved together to create an impeccable story.

Its gripping, enthralling and mesmerizing. It has the power of taking the reader to some other world, the world of beautiful dreams of Saba (the protagonist), hostile and intimidating realities of Iran and author's astounding imagination.

This is a story of Saba, an eleven-year-old girl, who grew up in a small village in Iran in 80s. Her mother and sister disappears, leaving Saba and her father alone in Iran. Saba is certain that they have moved to America without her. And Saba starts conjuring Mahtab through her imaginations, a major part of which is born out of  illegal magazines, television shows, and rock music which she loves to collect. She starts creating beautiful stories about her sister's life in the Western world. She made Mahtab a western version of hers.

While growing up in the tenderness of the community of her local village, she struggles with the limited possibilities in post-revolutionary Iran. When Saba’s world has all the grit and viciousness of the real life under the new Islamic regime, imaginations of her sister’s life in US started giving her wings of freedom that Saba could only dream of. Saba envisions that there is another way for her story to unfold.

This novel exploits the power of imagination to heal the reader's psychological needs. The story and the characters surely touches the reader deeply with such an intensity that leaves you astonished

Its emotional, beautiful, captivating, imaginative, creative, full of dreams, impeccable, enchanting, remarkable and just so marvelously bewitching and profoundly meaningful. And if these are the things that you, as a reader look forward to while reading a novel, this novel would surely prove to be a treat for you and for your senses:)

Go ahead and you will not be disappointed.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not a Tuxedo!

I was reading an interview of Priyanka Chopra in one of the magazines the other day and there was one thing which she said and which captivated my mind immediately and frankly, I do not remember anything from that interview apart from that one thing! To some ques, she replied “Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not like a tuxedo!!!” Wowww… what a saying and how true… If you can carry your success in a subtle and a causal way, nothing like it… But that’s an art! Believe me! Carrying your success in a positive and a natural way is really not easy! I mean its like being flamboyant but in a natural way! But the problem here is presenting this flamboyancy into a natural way sans attitude which most of the people, unfortunately are incapable of doing! Ahhhh…. And great are the people who sometimes cross limits of showing off! They just love to show off and cant live without it: They show off their wealth, their status, their success and some people are even much horrib

Dear Myntra and Flipkart, thanks for snatching away my freedom!

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”  ―  Charlotte Bront├л ,  Jane Eyre I am an avid Shopaholic, a compulsive one! At times, I feel this is some kind of a disorder I am going through. The moment my salary is credited into my account, I start shopping! And within the first week, I am broke, I am left with no bones! And the rest of the month goes in waiting for the next salary! Its like my wallet has a hole. I guess it has... Anyways, boom of the online shopping sites have actually galvanised this disorder, much to my disdain. The moment I get little time in office, at home or for that matter anywhere on this planet, I just open my laptop and start browsing, drooling over the thousands and thousands of pretty shoes, dresses, accessories, just craving to see them in my wardrobe! I just always open these sites with an idea, rather a very clear one of 'window shopping' but then, in the middle I don't know what

The transformation of an arranged marriage to a love one!

“If I get married, I want to be very married.”  ― Audrey Hepburn Arranged marriages: Lets look at what wikipedia says about it: Arranged marriage is a type of marital union where the bride and groom are selected by a third party rather than by each other. It was common worldwide until the 18th century. Wait a second, does that say '18th century'. Yes, it indeed does. The world has moved on, and we, Indians are stuck, stuck in between a combat. A fight of deciding where to go, which side to choose and whom to follow: our old traditional culture or the west.  Anyways, arranged marriages still accounts for an overwhelming majority of marriages that happens on our land. Though we do celebrate love, but only in movies and we are doing that since last 4 decades, but when it comes to applying it literally, it suddenly becomes a stigma! Love marriages are still considered a taboo in major parts of our society. Anyways, I am definitely not here to make