Skip to main content

Gone with the Wind: Margaret Mitchell

I finished reading Gone with the wind. I would begin with thanking the friend of mine who made me read this one book. I was reluctant in the beginning. Most of the classics that I have read, were during my PG and I really dint enjoy them much.Guess that was the study-effect:( You never like your course books, whatever you do! Infact, I used to find them really boring! But then, on the persuasion of my friend, I went on to read this one and then, there was never looking back.

The novel is considered to be one of the best in the classics of all times. Indeed it is! Its fascinating, engrossing, captivating! It carries a whole lot of world in itself, saying this I am really finding it hard to search for ways in which I can encapsulate this one amazing piece.

The story centers around Scarlett, the infamous protagonist. She is selfish, arrogant, too much proud, spoiled, brutally honest, but then, all these qualities, when amalgamated together made a very courageous, determined, audacious and bold character.A large part of this novel revolves around her lavish life before the American revolution and the after struggle of hers with hunger, to keep herself, her estate and her people safe.

A considerable amount of the book also revolves around American revolution, chronicling the tough journey of the south, beginning from the mere casual talks to facing the war in their own backyards! There is bloodshed and lives lost for the Cause, cause? Its the way of life that Southerners held onto with a determination they were ready and willing to die for.

And then there is a huge amount of struggle of people being depicted, trying to rebuild and reconstruct South! Its really depressing to know the kind of situations that a war throws the people into. Its sad and miserable.

Anyways, and then there is this amazing but totally different love story of Rhett and Scarlett! Its just so engaging that you wait for their moments to come. You wait for any conversation to happen between them, which is not at all filled with love or romance. On the contrary, its full of sarcasm and taunts and you still love it because its entirely different from the other love stories! Its so enchanting!

Guys, read this one book. Its breath taking, but yes, I would like to mention here that few parts of this book are filled with racism.  But then, if you kind of try to keep them aside, this book has the power to sweep away its reader into a different world, which is sometimes beautiful, but attimes harsh, which is filled with opportunities but attimes, also filled with hunger, which is enchanting but also cruel and repulsive.

It will grab your attention from the very first line which says, "Scarlett O’Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm". You, attimes, abhor this character, but then attimes you are bound to fell in love with her! She  possessed an undeniable charm that leaves most men putty in her hands.

I fell in love with it and this book has taken a place in the list of books that I would like to re-read.

I just loved it!!!

Comments

  1. What a wonderful book, read this quite a few years ago and then went on to see the movie. Although the movie was great if not lengthy.. The book was brilliant and i'm glad I read the book first. A nice synopsis.. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Commenting is Sexy! Do let me know what you think about this post :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not a Tuxedo!

I was reading an interview of Priyanka Chopra in one of the magazines the other day and there was one thing which she said and which captivated my mind immediately and frankly, I do not remember anything from that interview apart from that one thing! To some ques, she replied “Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not like a tuxedo!!!” Wowww… what a saying and how true… If you can carry your success in a subtle and a causal way, nothing like it… But that’s an art! Believe me! Carrying your success in a positive and a natural way is really not easy! I mean its like being flamboyant but in a natural way! But the problem here is presenting this flamboyancy into a natural way sans attitude which most of the people, unfortunately are incapable of doing! Ahhhh…. And great are the people who sometimes cross limits of showing off! They just love to show off and cant live without it: They show off their wealth, their status, their success and some people are even much horrib

Dear Myntra and Flipkart, thanks for snatching away my freedom!

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”  ―  Charlotte Bront├л ,  Jane Eyre I am an avid Shopaholic, a compulsive one! At times, I feel this is some kind of a disorder I am going through. The moment my salary is credited into my account, I start shopping! And within the first week, I am broke, I am left with no bones! And the rest of the month goes in waiting for the next salary! Its like my wallet has a hole. I guess it has... Anyways, boom of the online shopping sites have actually galvanised this disorder, much to my disdain. The moment I get little time in office, at home or for that matter anywhere on this planet, I just open my laptop and start browsing, drooling over the thousands and thousands of pretty shoes, dresses, accessories, just craving to see them in my wardrobe! I just always open these sites with an idea, rather a very clear one of 'window shopping' but then, in the middle I don't know what

The transformation of an arranged marriage to a love one!

“If I get married, I want to be very married.”  ― Audrey Hepburn Arranged marriages: Lets look at what wikipedia says about it: Arranged marriage is a type of marital union where the bride and groom are selected by a third party rather than by each other. It was common worldwide until the 18th century. Wait a second, does that say '18th century'. Yes, it indeed does. The world has moved on, and we, Indians are stuck, stuck in between a combat. A fight of deciding where to go, which side to choose and whom to follow: our old traditional culture or the west.  Anyways, arranged marriages still accounts for an overwhelming majority of marriages that happens on our land. Though we do celebrate love, but only in movies and we are doing that since last 4 decades, but when it comes to applying it literally, it suddenly becomes a stigma! Love marriages are still considered a taboo in major parts of our society. Anyways, I am definitely not here to make