Skip to main content

Leaders are to be followed and Managers.... lets think!!!


"People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. The leader leads, and the boss drives." Theodore Roosevelt
Have just recently finished my MBA. No, I am offcourse not writing this post to brag about it. This post is regarding a thing that I have been thinking since I have enrolled for this course.
In every semester, there have been atleast one subject which spoke about "Leaders and managers". There is so much being said and taught about them, glorifying the leaders and criticizing managers. But then, honestly how many leaders, I mean "real" leaders do we find around? Very rare... Right? Why? Even after teaching so much about the importance of being a leader and not just task masters aka managers, why do we still have dearth of leaders? Sitting in the classroom, we all aspire to become leaders. Infact many of us, being compelled by enthusiasm, even promise yourselves to become a leader. And the moment we become slaves of corporate, we forget all that, all those promises, all those teachings, all those lessons, we forget everything and just shove ourselves into the grind and become like everyone else: an insensitive machine of
torturing managing people. Guess, its this highly spreading desperation of rising high without much efforts, without waiting! Guess, the extinction of leaders is to be blamed on the dirty competition and politics thats spreading across like a giant, in every organization. Guess, its is our cravings for higher living standards. Guess, its our swelling materialistic desires. Guess, it is our dying conscience.
Anyways, let me put down the most common qualities of a leader here. A leader is honest, confident, motivating, calm and composed in every situation and most important one, a leader believes in sharing the credit with their team and also, have the guts of taking the blame of their failure on themselves. Now, just mull over your brain to think about people around you who imbibe these qualities?
But the best part is corporate world is not all that bad. It is not just surviving, it is growing with leaps and bounds. Thanks to few leaders that we have and thanks to them for not giving up their principles and learnings, by getting influenced with cheap desires. In my 8 years of career, I have been really fortunate to meet few of such leaders. You know what is that one thing that is common in all of them. They all just carry an aura around them: of intelligence, of positivity, of comfort, of this amazing attitude. The best part about leaders is that they take their people along with them, they don't leave them behind. They mentor them, guide them and just feel proud of seeing them growing in their respective careers. Yes, these are the signs of true leaders. And BTW, such people are just not found in books. They are there in real and I am so glad, I know few of them.
Do you know one? If not, search for one... if Yes, then stick to them , shadow them and learn as much as possible from them
"It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership." - Nelson Mandela
P.S. Leaders are to be followed and managers are to be ignored!
P.S.S. These are completely my views and are not meant to hurt anyone

Comments

  1. A thought provoking article I must say :). My 2 cents on these are leaders are born, they are made during their upbringing, in their formative years. Sitting in a classroom and hearing those inspiring stories might excite you, but if you don't have certain basic qualities of a leader, those excitement fade away as soon as you are out of the class room. Nothing to be blamed for. Because even in corporate world, there are leaders. One of the fundamental quality(and there are many) of a leader IMHO is that he/she has to be unselfish i.e. he/she has fill accomplished while making others succeed. I don't think any class room can teach that :) So just to summarize, teaching, grooming, experience etc helps fine tuning the qualities, it does not make a leader. If you don't have leadership qualities inside you by the time you are say 20/22, I doubt you would be a leader. Again, completely my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post has been featured in this week's Spicy Saturday Picks! You can check it out at http://adda.at/1HMKMEl

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mustaf:) And I compeletely agree:) Thanks for adding points:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankssss Team Blogadda:) *happy happy*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Commenting is Sexy! Do let me know what you think about this post :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not a Tuxedo!

I was reading an interview of Priyanka Chopra in one of the magazines the other day and there was one thing which she said and which captivated my mind immediately and frankly, I do not remember anything from that interview apart from that one thing! To some ques, she replied “Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not like a tuxedo!!!” Wowww… what a saying and how true… If you can carry your success in a subtle and a causal way, nothing like it… But that’s an art! Believe me! Carrying your success in a positive and a natural way is really not easy! I mean its like being flamboyant but in a natural way! But the problem here is presenting this flamboyancy into a natural way sans attitude which most of the people, unfortunately are incapable of doing! Ahhhh…. And great are the people who sometimes cross limits of showing off! They just love to show off and cant live without it: They show off their wealth, their status, their success and some people are even much horrib

Dear Myntra and Flipkart, thanks for snatching away my freedom!

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”  ―  Charlotte Brontë ,  Jane Eyre I am an avid Shopaholic, a compulsive one! At times, I feel this is some kind of a disorder I am going through. The moment my salary is credited into my account, I start shopping! And within the first week, I am broke, I am left with no bones! And the rest of the month goes in waiting for the next salary! Its like my wallet has a hole. I guess it has... Anyways, boom of the online shopping sites have actually galvanised this disorder, much to my disdain. The moment I get little time in office, at home or for that matter anywhere on this planet, I just open my laptop and start browsing, drooling over the thousands and thousands of pretty shoes, dresses, accessories, just craving to see them in my wardrobe! I just always open these sites with an idea, rather a very clear one of 'window shopping' but then, in the middle I don't know what

The transformation of an arranged marriage to a love one!

“If I get married, I want to be very married.”  ― Audrey Hepburn Arranged marriages: Lets look at what wikipedia says about it: Arranged marriage is a type of marital union where the bride and groom are selected by a third party rather than by each other. It was common worldwide until the 18th century. Wait a second, does that say '18th century'. Yes, it indeed does. The world has moved on, and we, Indians are stuck, stuck in between a combat. A fight of deciding where to go, which side to choose and whom to follow: our old traditional culture or the west.  Anyways, arranged marriages still accounts for an overwhelming majority of marriages that happens on our land. Though we do celebrate love, but only in movies and we are doing that since last 4 decades, but when it comes to applying it literally, it suddenly becomes a stigma! Love marriages are still considered a taboo in major parts of our society. Anyways, I am definitely not here to make