Skip to main content

BB's addiction: A reality or a myth?

Today I really want to write about one of my fav mobiles - Blackberry! I have been using BB from last 4 years. The phone I am using now is my 4th BB. I had just bought this one a few days back, I was in love with BB till I came across one of my friend's Samsung Galaxy SI one day. And I immediately feel in love with it! The amount of apps (both utility and entertaining) available on android market seems to be never ending! I really regreted of buying a BB without doing a proper research on the phones available in the market! I was so much tempted to own a smart phone that I got a Samsung SI from my next sal:) And is too happy with it. I have kept BB too just for my friends and groups on BBM:)

From last few years, the magic of BB seems to be fading. Once a touchstone seems like to be on the way of being an anachronism! 4-5 years back, BB was one of the most amazing and highly praised mobiles in the market. Infact, owning a BB used to be status symbol. But now, all this seems to be like a myth! Thanks to Iphones and Androids...

BB's market share seems to be decreasing every quarter. In US, Smartphone market share of BB in Q1 2009 was nearly 50% which has come down to around 13.5% in 1st quarter of this year.

Also BB's addiction and obsession seems to be parable now. Acc to a research, only a third of BB's users plan to stick to BB on their next change. Infact BB has seen a degrowth of 75% in their stocks! They had to change their CEO a few weeks back in hope of bringing back the same command and authority in the market!

What could be the reason for it? The easiest explaination would be the entry and popularity of android and Iphones have been resulting in the diminishing market share of BB. But is that so simple? No, if BB would have acted on time, they would have definately been able to sustain their position in the market. But guess, the issue with BB is that they had been living with the perception of being the leader of the business world and probably they thought, nobody could shake them from that position. Infact, BB had launched their first touchscreen much later than Iphone and other touchscreen makers. Also, if you look at all their models, all of them have almost the same look and feel. There is very less difference in all of them! They definately do not have much range and models. And I have no idea why they never thought of launching something different, something new to the market. Their latest model BB bold touchscreen has so much resemblence to BB Bold's ancestor 9000. Could'nt they think of anything unique, anything inimitable?

Also, intially BB had completely restricted themselves to the business world and people working in ITs loved BB because it offered them what they needed the most: security and reliability. BB had their own closed systems and so, there was less chances of any kind of fraud. At that time, BB did not try to reach the ordinary people and when they decided to enter this segment of the market, they were just not aware of ordinary people's needs, their demands and thus, again failing here.

But in this whole havoc, BB was able to safeguard their position a bit. Thanks to their BB curve's new models which definately helped them in saving a bit of their position in this competitive market. Ordinary people who once dreamt of owning a BB now got a chance to have hands on the same. But most of them do not want to continue with BB as their next phone. Second thing which have been saving their position is BBM. But guess Whats app will be able to override the same somewhere soon in future.

Can you believe that BB, which made texting a mainstream practice, which once dominated the smart phone market now have been trying hard to just safeguard their position in market!!!  Once a staple in the business world run the risk of becoming a technological dodo now!

Well its a brave wide world now! Its just not the same for which BB had built itself for...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not a Tuxedo!

I was reading an interview of Priyanka Chopra in one of the magazines the other day and there was one thing which she said and which captivated my mind immediately and frankly, I do not remember anything from that interview apart from that one thing! To some ques, she replied “Wear your success and confidence like a T-Shirt and not like a tuxedo!!!” Wowww… what a saying and how true… If you can carry your success in a subtle and a causal way, nothing like it… But that’s an art! Believe me! Carrying your success in a positive and a natural way is really not easy! I mean its like being flamboyant but in a natural way! But the problem here is presenting this flamboyancy into a natural way sans attitude which most of the people, unfortunately are incapable of doing! Ahhhh…. And great are the people who sometimes cross limits of showing off! They just love to show off and cant live without it: They show off their wealth, their status, their success and some people are even much horrib

Dear Myntra and Flipkart, thanks for snatching away my freedom!

“I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.”  ―  Charlotte Bront├л ,  Jane Eyre I am an avid Shopaholic, a compulsive one! At times, I feel this is some kind of a disorder I am going through. The moment my salary is credited into my account, I start shopping! And within the first week, I am broke, I am left with no bones! And the rest of the month goes in waiting for the next salary! Its like my wallet has a hole. I guess it has... Anyways, boom of the online shopping sites have actually galvanised this disorder, much to my disdain. The moment I get little time in office, at home or for that matter anywhere on this planet, I just open my laptop and start browsing, drooling over the thousands and thousands of pretty shoes, dresses, accessories, just craving to see them in my wardrobe! I just always open these sites with an idea, rather a very clear one of 'window shopping' but then, in the middle I don't know what

The transformation of an arranged marriage to a love one!

“If I get married, I want to be very married.”  ― Audrey Hepburn Arranged marriages: Lets look at what wikipedia says about it: Arranged marriage is a type of marital union where the bride and groom are selected by a third party rather than by each other. It was common worldwide until the 18th century. Wait a second, does that say '18th century'. Yes, it indeed does. The world has moved on, and we, Indians are stuck, stuck in between a combat. A fight of deciding where to go, which side to choose and whom to follow: our old traditional culture or the west.  Anyways, arranged marriages still accounts for an overwhelming majority of marriages that happens on our land. Though we do celebrate love, but only in movies and we are doing that since last 4 decades, but when it comes to applying it literally, it suddenly becomes a stigma! Love marriages are still considered a taboo in major parts of our society. Anyways, I am definitely not here to make